President's Message, May 2017
With the 2017 racing season upon us, I wanted to update all our members on some of the exciting milestones achieved to date, as well as events and initiatives that are in the works.
Since the new Board year started in November, the team has been busy! I would like to extend a huge thank you to our volunteer Board: Brenda Santos (VP); Lori Goodfellow (Treasurer); Clare McCurley (Secretary); Boni Griffith (Membership); Halley Georgas (Marketing); Jacqueline Baldwin (Sponsorship); Kimberley Mutch (Social); Linda Kay Richards (Training); and a warm welcome to Kelly Smith (Communications). I would also like to thank: our Past President Irene Rey; Community Members Laura Betty, Diana Gonzales and Ariel Weis; our Executive Director, Tara Postnikoff; and Administrative Assistant, Elisa Iannarelli.
The 2016/17 Season
The club has already seen growth on a number of fronts this year:
- For the first time, we hit over 500 registered members in March 2017!
- We are continuing to roll out our new kit from our Ultra Sponsor, Champion Systems.
- Camps have sold out at record pace.
- Our fall/winter/spring swim programs continued this year with 6 sessions across 5 pools in the city. We have increased our summer pool offerings, and will be staring OWS as soon as the lake is ready.
- Coached Saturday morning rides from Angus Glen Community Centre have started, and a skills component will be added in the coming weeks.
- West End and East End bi-weekly rides have started with great response!
- We held our first ever Membership Open House & Expo on April 27th. This proved to be a hugely successful event, and one that we plan to build on in future years.
- We have set a challenge to have 150 club members racing Toronto Triathlon Festival this year to celebrate Canada 150. Pull on some TTC kit and be at the start line for your home race on July 23.
Opportunities for Improvement
With the huge growth of the club and its offerings over the last few years, there have been some growing pains. The Board is working had to make sure that all members are able to get the most out of their club. With that in mind:
- We continue to improve the website where we can, and are working hard at simplifying the registration process. We are currently looking for a webmaster to help with some basic technical updates. If you have this skill set and want to volunteer please email us!
- We are working on a more cohesive social media strategy.
- We experimented with a different format for our indoor cycling program this winter. Unfortunately, the numbers are still not where we would like them to be. We would love to hear from you about what you would like to see in an indoor cycling program.
- We added the role of Administrative Assistant to ease some of the day to day operational burden on the ED and Board.
- We are updating our accounting practices to ensure greater transparency. A Registration & Refund policy is coming soon from our Treasurer.
- We are working diligently to develop and document policies and procedures to help the club run more smoothly.
Wishing all our members a great season.
President, Toronto Triathlon Club
To be Toronto’s leader for the development of multi-sport athletes of all levels
The Toronto Triathlon Club is a non-profit organization with a mission to develop a community of multisport athletes from recreational to elite who share the common purpose to:
History of the Club
- Achieve their personal athletic goals;
- Encourage individual growth and performance in the sport through mentoring and learning;
- Participate in organized group training sessions consisting of professionally designed workouts; and
- Socialize in a fun and congenial environment.
Fund-raising disclaimer: The Toronto Triathlon Club recognizes and encourages the efforts of our members and others active in the triathlon community to raise funds for worthy causes. Due to the number of requests received by the Club we cannot respond to them all. If you would like to promote a fund-raising event or personal fund-raising effort please feel free to do so through the Toronto Triathlon Facebook page.
The Toronto Triathlon Club started in 2003 as a group of friends interested in triathlon. It existed informally for a number of years as an online community, with members getting together to train, race and share successes. The growing popularity of the sport of triathlon and duathlon combined with the sizable Toronto market created an opportunity for a club that would provide a community of support for multisport athletes of all levels of ability in pursuing their athletic goals. The Toronto Triathlon Club evolved to fill that need. We are a club serving the needs of adult age group multisport athletes.
In 2006 a set of by-laws were created, a formal volunteer board structure was put together and the Toronto Triathlon Club was established as a not-for-profit organization. In the first year of operation we developed important sponsor relationships to enhance member value. These included Enduro Sport (the major triathlon-focused retailer in the GTA), and a coaching organization with many years of experience in developing triathletes and duathletes of all levels of ability: NRG Performance Training. We also established ourselves as Toronto's only Triathlon Ontario sanctioned club.
Our members participate in races ranging from "try-a-tri" right up to iron-distance triathlons and duathlons. We successfully run Training Camps and numerous clinics to help our members with the many intricacies and challenges of multisport training and racing. The TTC website continues to be refined as a true information centre for the triathlon and duathlon community in the GTA. The membership grows steadily each year, as we welcome new and experienced athletes to join us.
As we commence our 7th full year of operation, we see continued growth in providing value to our members. The club provides workout opportunities in all three disciplines - swim, bike and run – throughout the year. We have also strengthened our value to members with the addition of new sponsors and group workout opportunities. We remain dedicated to growing the sports of triathlon and duathlon in the GTA, and providing an environment in which multisport athletes are able to develop their fitness and their skills in each discipline of the sport.
We are a ‘member-driven’ club allowing the needs and desires of our member base to shape the benefits and services we offer. Whether you are a competitive age-grouper pursing a personal best or are new to the sport, the Toronto Triathlon Club can give you the opportunity to learn and grow with others who share your goals.
For general inquiries, membership or sponsorship inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For inquiries about our Club training activities: email@example.com
For website problems: firstname.lastname@example.org
Toronto Triathlon Club
200 Woodycrest Ave
Toronto ON M4J3C3